Lady's smock - Yunabán the witch series

On this blog I don't only want to show recipes and beautiful pictures. I also want to share some knowledge of things that I really started to care about.
As simple as it might sound but I want to talk about plants. 🌱 When I go outside for a walk I see a lot of plants I don't even know the name of. I call them "flowers" or "weed". But there are so many interesting things to learn. I feel like in the past every human knew what the plants around them are good for. Or at least the name of them.
Knowing which ones are edible and which ones are medicinal or poisonous is something we should start caring more about again. This also helps with treating our environment correctly.

That's the reason why I started a little series on instagram called #yunabanthewitch some time ago. But as there's so much to learn about plants, this blog is much more effective to share information.

So let's just dig into the first plant I want to talk about. It's name is Lady's Smock. It's this small violet flower that seems to grow everywhere. It's a bit insignificant and to some people it might be just weed but the Lady's Smock is actually a medicinal plant which is rich in vitamins and minerals.

yunaban-blog-schweiz-lifestyle-knowledge-learning-forgotten-knowledgeThe Lady's Smock belongs to the family of the crucifers. You might know cauliflower, radish, mustard and wasabi, they belong to the crucifers, too.

The Lady's Smock contains a lot of vitamin c, iron and glucosinolates. The glucosinolates are very healthy but they're also the reason why you shouldn't just go outside, pick them and eat them in a salad. Make sure you eat them in moderate portions. You could also make a tea, the glucosinolates can't bear the heat.

yunaban-plant-plantbased-ladys-smock-ladyssmock-flower-weed

Lady's Smock blooms from April until June at many places, especially in flower meadows.

Unfortunately I didn't try any recipes with it this year but let me know if you have any recommendations for next year 👌

Much love,
Yunabán

yunaban-blog-schweiz-switzerland-witch-magie-wiesen-schaum-kraut

yunaban-blog-vegan-schweiz-swiss-nature-green


Comments

Popular Posts